Robyn Crawford, Whitney Houston’s Rumored Lover, Tells All?!?!
Whitney Houston’s Alleged Ex-Girlfriend, Robyn Crawford, to Release Book About Her Life with the Singer
There were a lot of things we didn’t know about the late Whitney Houston, and her longtime BFF-turned-assistant, Robyn Crawford, is ready to tell it all.
For years, many have speculated that the Grammy-winning songstress was in a romantic relationship with a woman by the name of Robyn Crawford, whom she met in her early teen years back in Newark, New Jersey. Crawford says she was first introduced to Houston at age sixteen while working a summer job at a community center in the area, and the two’s friendship blossomed from there.
However, though the bond was platonically presented to family and fans, the rumors continued to spread. Bobby Brown, Houston’s ex-husband of fifteen years, even alleged that the “How Will I Know” phenomenon was bisexual and did, in fact, have an affair with Crawford throughout their marriage as well. Brown also briefly depicted the galpals’ too-close-for-comfort interaction in his 2018 biopic, The Bobby Brown Story.
Additionally, the New Edition icon once said that, due to the judgment she’d receive from her loved ones, Houston was afraid of her more-than-friendly union with Crawford getting out.
“I really feel that if Robyn was accepted into Whitney’s life, Whitney would still be alive today,” Brown expressed. “She didn’t have close friends with her anymore.”
Crawford had yet to confirm the allegations.
“I have never spoken about her until now. She knew I wouldn’t. She was a loyal friend, and she knew I was never going to be disloyal to her. I was never going to betray her,” she previously wrote in a piece in Esquire, remembering Houston after her death.
It looks like that has now changed. Robyn Crawford is putting the lies to rest and revealing her truth. According to Penguin Random House, the controversial figure is releasing a 320-page tell-all book, titled A Song for You: My Life with Whitney Houston.
“Robyn Crawford and Whitney Houston were inseparable friends and collaborators. This is the poignant inside story of their life together,” the statement read. “Whitney Houston is as big a superstar as the music business has ever known. She exploded on the scene in 1985 with her debut album and spent the next two decades dominating the charts and capturing the hearts of fans around the world. One person was there by her side through it all.”
The work, which is set to be unveiled on November 5th, will give supporters insight on Crawford and Houston’s unforgettable connection and everything that came with the Pop diva’s lifestyle.
Since Whitney’s death in 2012, that trusted and loyal friend, Robyn Crawford, has stayed out of the limelight and held the great joys, wild adventures, and hard truths of her life with Whitney close to her heart, In A Song for You, Robyn breaks her silence to share the moving and often complicated story of her life and relationship with Whitney. With warmth, candor, and an impressive recall of detail, Robyn gives readers insight into Whitney’s life and career.
A Song for You: My Life with Whitney Houston is available for pre-order here.
Robyn has been on a bit of a press tour for the book. She recently caught up with ESSENCE’s Yes, Girl! podcast, hosts Cori Murray and Charli Penn to talk about the book and her connection to Whitney Houston.
She shares with ESSENCE’s Yes, Girl! (time codes included):
- ON WHAT WHITNEY WOULD WANT [12:09-12:35]: “…I asked myself that question, what would Whitney want? What would Whitney want? So my intent is to raise my friend’s legacy, honor our friendship because that’s what she deserves. That’s how I feel…”
- ON BEING YOUNG, FEARLESS AND FREE WITH WHITNEY [15:06-15:36]: “…We were young, fearless, and ready, and I was a believer. It was happening. Everything she said was happening. She didn’t talk like, ‘I’m going to have a hit record and we’re going to…’ It was none of that. It was like, ‘I’m a singer. I sing. I’m going to get a recording contract, and stick with me and I’ll take you all around the world.’ And that’s exactly what happened…”
- ON THE FIRST TIME THEY MET [17:20-17:50]: “…It all happened at that first meeting when I walked in and we met that day. It just clicked, something happened, and it was just a friendship that developed and it kept growing and growing. And it was deep because we were open, we were bare, we were naked. And when I mean naked, with our feelings and we didn’t think about what we were saying, we just said it…”
- ON ROBYN’S BOND WITH WHITNEY [26:52 – 27:46]: “It was the bond, and the deepness, and the connection that we had. And it was beautiful. Those moments…I know I am very free when I express it in the book. And that’s because that’s what that moment felt like. Whitney used to always say, if you want a friend, you have to be one. If you love me, love me unconditionally. And that was something else for me to strive for, understanding what the word unconditional meant. And the love that I had for her was really deep. And that love she had for me was the same…”
- ON HER FRIENDSHIP WITH WHITNEY AFTER SHE MARRIED BOBBY [35:42 – 38:04]: “…I did not know Bobby before the wedding. We never really got a chance to know each other. And, when they became a couple, I still really didn’t get to spend any quality time with both of them. But, while I will say about Bobby is she told me she loved him. And his behavior and the way I saw him treat her… let’s just say this about Bobby, Bobby’s behaviors played out in the press. And he and I were not squaring off in Everlast shorts and boxing gloves. That never happened. I was still in the same spot that Whitney always wanted me to be. Bobby never approached me personally and said anything to me about the rumors of our relationship. Not once. But I watched him make a mess of her trail. Bobby was funny. He had a way of shifting the attention to him anywhere, any place, at any time. That was Bobby’s talent….But I wasn’t competing for anything. I had her friendship. I was her friend. And he could have been a better friend too…”
Readers Might Also Like:
Chris Rock Receives Major Backlash After Distasteful Whitney Houston Joke
Ryan Leslie Sacrificed A Lot To Settle His Lengthy Legal Battle, But He’s Doing Alright
Will Smith Said to Have Made More Than Martin Lawrence for ‘Bad Boys 3’
Avant Rumors of Death Are Untrue, Singer Has Released New Single