The leaves are changing, there is a chill in the air, and its football season again. Friends and family gather weekly to have “Sunday Funday” Celebrations. Do you want to have that game-changing recipe that your friends can not stop talking about? Look no further! Chef Hazel of Hell’s Kitchen Season 14 will be providing the Ultimate Game Day Recipe Guide each week. Indulge yourself in Comfort foods bursting with flavor. For this delicious adventure, we are going to delve into the fresh and bold flavors of Mexico with a Shrimp Tostada. Enjoy!
½ lb peeled and deveined large Shrimp
1/3 cup Tequila
1/3 cup Poblano Pepper chopped small
1 T Garlic chopped
1/3 cup corn kernels
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ Avocado cubed
¼ Cup Cilantro
10 Corn Tortillas
Vegetable Oil for Frying
½ large red onion sliced thin into rings
¾ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
2 T Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1/3 cup Mayo
1/3 Cup Sour Cream
1 tsp Lemon Juice
4 Cloves Garlic
3 T Chipotle Sauce and Pepper
1 T Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Pickle Onions: In a small saucepot, add vinegar, salt and sugar.
- Bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over sliced onions. Set aside and chill.
- Chipotle Aoli: In a blender, add all ingredients and puree. Set Aside.
- In a sauce pot add oil until approximately 1inch deep.
- Heat to 350F or until oil sizzles when tortilla is added.
- Fry tortillas for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove and let oil drain. Season with salt. Set Aside.
- Season the Shrimp with Salt and Pepper.
- In a saute pan on medium heat, add 1 Tablespoon of Oil.
- Add Shrimp and cook for approximately 1 minute.
- Add garlic, poblano pepper, corn and cook for an additional minute stirring frequently. Add Salt and Pepper.
- Remove from heat and carefully add tequila.
- Place back on heat and let the tequila burn off (flambe). Be mindful of the flame and it will quickly subside.
- Add the juice of 1 lime. Cook for an additional 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of butter and Chopped Cilantro.
- Assemble the Tostada: Place ½ tsp aoli on tortilla, top with pickled onion, Shrimp Mixture, and Avocado. Garnish with additional cilantro.