RECIPE: Shrimp and Cheesy Grits with Pickled Tomatoes
Shrimp and Grits is a Classic Southern Dish that is the epitome of comfort food. This dish has boldly spiced shrimp, paired with cheesy creamy grits, topped off with a sweet pickled tomato for the ultimate flavor combination. The preparation time is minimal and this can easily be a weeknight dish. Try out this recipe and post pictures of your dish on Twitter @Christinehaze10 and @parlemag using the #shrimpncheesygrits
Shrimp and Cheesy Grits with Pickled Tomatoes
1 pound Medium Shrimp (Peeled and Deveined)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/3 Cup dry white wine
1 T unsalted butter
Shrimp Spice Rub:
- 1 T Garlic Powder
- 1 T Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper.
- 1 quart cherry tomatoes (washed and sliced in half)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 5 black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups Cider Vinegar
Scallions (sliced on a bias for garnish)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup coarse ground cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 4 ounces shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- In small saucepot, add cider vinegar, peppercorns, garlic cloves, 1 Tsp salt, and ¼ cup sugar. Bring to a boil for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Strain vinegar mixture and reserve the liquid. Pour pickling liquid over sliced cherry tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate.
- Bring the milk, stock, and salt to a boil in a large saucepot over medium-high heat.
- Slowly add the cornmeal while continuously whisking. Reduce heat to low and cover. Stir frequently and make sure the grits are not sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is creamy. Remove from heat.
- Add Butter. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Gradually add cheese. Season with Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Combine ingredients for Spice Rub. Coat shrimp liberally with rub.
- Heat sauté pan to medium-high heat. Add 2 T Olive Oil.
- Add Shrimp, and cook for approximately 2-3 minutes. Stir to make sure all sides are cooked evenly. Add 1/3 cup white wine to pan. Let cook for approximately one minute. Remove from heat.
- Add 1 Tablespoon butter and stir.
- Serve and Enjoy!