Recipe: Donuts with Pomegranate Caramel – Excerpt from the Kelis Cookbook
As featured in the Kelis Cookbook, My Life On A Plate:
Donuts with Pomegranate Caramel
A couple of years ago, I took my son, Knight, to visit a friend’s church and they were offering coffee and donuts afterward. Knight was such a little guy that I didn’t even know he knew the word “donut” and suddenly he was like, “I need more donut!” I feel that way about donuts myself. I don’t want them anywhere near me when I know I have to perform because I have absolutely no self control over donuts. I make these when Knight and I want to indulge our cravings. I put a bourbon-based pomegranate glaze on them, but he likes a plain glaze; he’s a classic kind of guy.
MAKES 10 TO 12 DONUTS
3 (1/4-ounce) packages rapid-rise yeast
1/2 cup hot water
71/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 1/2 cups boiling water
3 large eggs
Canola oil or vegetable oil for deep-frying
1 recipe Pomegranate Caramel (page 164)
- Combine the yeast and the hot water in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and set aside for 5 minutes to activate the yeast. Add 3 cups of the flour, the sugar, and salt, and mix on low speed to combine, then add the shortening and mix to combine. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition. Tip in the boiling water and blend well. Add the remaining flour and mix to combine. Increase the speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes, until the dough is smooth and no longer sticks to the side of the bowl.
- Take the bowl off the stand. Cover it with a kitchen towel or paper towel and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour, until the dough has risen to about double its size.
- Lightly dust a flat work surface and your rolling pin with flour. Turn the dough out onto the work surface and roll it out until it is 1/2 inch thick. Cut out 10 to 12 donuts with a donut cutter or a 2- to 3-inch biscuit cutter. Place them on a baking sheet, cover them with the kitchen towel, and set aside in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 to 3 inches of oil over medium heat until it reaches 350°F. Prepare a bed of paper towels for draining.
- Drop the donuts into the oil and fry until golden brown, 45 seconds to 1 minute per side. Remove the donuts from the oil and drain them on the paper towels. Drizzle them with the pomegranate glaze and serve warm. If not serving immediately, drizzle over some more glaze once you are about to serve.See the Recipe for the Pomegranate Caramel Glaze here.
Donuts with Pomegranate Caramel Recipe found in the Kelis Cookbook, My Life On A Plate Recipes From Around the World available wherever books are sold now.
Printed with Permission.
Readers Might Also Like:
The Health Benefits of Flaxseed
How Organic Products Can Help Your Life?