Braised chicken breast and spicy Italian sausage is a meal worth waiting for. Depending how quickly you slice and move in the kitchen, this meal between prep time and braising, could run 3- 4 hours. When I first made this dish, I used a 10 inch sauté pan and less chicken and sausage. When it was done, I added mozzarella cheese and baked in the oven for another fifteen minutes. Eat with your favorite pasta, polenta or put some on a baguette and add some cheese. I recommend if you can legally drink a nice Chianti, Pinot Noir or Nero d’Avlo with some semolina bread. Enjoy Life!
¾ Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 Large Spanish onion, julienne (sliced)
1 Large Green bell pepper, julienne (white membrane removed)
8 Garlic Cloves (peeled and thinly sliced)
30-40 Fennel Seeds
3 ½ -4 pounds Italian spicy sausage (whole)
2-3 pounds of Chicken Breast (cleaned)
½ Cup of Dry blended Italian Herbs (Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, etc.)
3 large bay leaves
1 ½ pound of canned crushed tomatoes
3 cups of water
¼ Cup of white granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1. Heat a 10 quart stock pot on medium/low.
2. Add ¼ Cup of EVOO, when oil is hot but not smoking add
Sliced onions, peppers and garlic.
3. Add Fennel seeds after one minute and continue cooking.
4. Remove mixture from pot and set aside.
5. Add teaspoon of EVOO and then sausage.
6. Allow for sausage to brown on all sides.
7. While sausage is browning, coat chicken with dry herbs and salt to taste.
8. When sausage is brown, remove and set with onions and peppers.
9. Add a Tablespoon of EVOO and sear off herb coated chicken on both sides.
10. When chicken is seared off on both sides, add sausage, onion and peppers mixture.
11. Add bay leaves, tomatoes, water, sugar and vinegar, the rest of the EVOO salt and pepper to taste.
12. Stir and Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 2 ½-3 hours.
Cooking notes: Chicken breast should be thick, using chicken tenders is not recommended. You may use chicken thighs if you like. Dark meat has more flavor, but chicken breast offer a better looking presentation. Herbs will come off chicken this will add flavor to the sauce. Anytime I recommend wine, if you choose to drink, drink responsible.
Also Check Out:
Orecchiette with Smoked Prosciutto and Kale recipe
Rico Love – Using His Voice & His Talent
Martin Lawrence Teams Up With Kelsey Grammer In New Series, Partners
Morgan McCoy – Girl On A Mission
Ready For Soul with Leela James